Date:      Wed, 07 Jan 1998 14:16:10 +0100
From:      Mattias Pantzare <pantzer@ludd.luth.se>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?=22Luis_E=2E_Mu=F1oz=22?= <lem@cantv.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [fbsd-isp] Designing for a very large ISP

> If we get a high end server, for instance, an Alpha Server, we
> get a PCI bus (same bus on high end PC servers, probably at the
> same speed?). Sun is also in the works for a PCI Ultra (or so
> have I heard).

No, not the same speed. They use 64Mhz 64 bit PCI buss (and usualy some slots
that are 33Mhz), that is 4 times faster. Plus the internal busses are faster.
The bigger boxes has not one PCI buss, but several. Sun Enterprise 450 has 6
PCI busses...

> Some high end workstations use 70ns memory, the same (or even slower)

And often uses interleaving to get the speed up.

If you realy need the speed, that is a diffrent thing.