Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 2002 04:40:29 -0500
From:      AlanE <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        Anders Andersson <anders@hack.org>
Cc:        alexis georges <floating_in_space_@hotmail.com>, FreeBSD Ports List <ports@freebsd.org>, Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
Subject:   Re: XML Parsing error with Phoenix 0.4.2

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 07:13:00AM +0100, Anders Andersson wrote:
>On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 05:10:52PM -0500, AlanE wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 07:59:31PM +0000, alexis georges wrote:
>> >Hello
>> >i am trying to get phoenix working..i installed fine from the port..no
>> >glitches at all..so it is installed but when i try to launch it, i get this:
>> >
>> >XML Parsing Error: Undefined Entity
>> >Location:chrome://broswer/content/browser.xul
>> >Line Number 447, Column 34
>> >
>> So far, you are the second person to report this. The rest of us have
>> no clue whatsoever it's about.
>>
>> I wonder if it could be related to perl version or File::Spec version
>> used when building the port. Otherwise I've got no idea at all. Have you
>> checked mozilla.org's website to see if there's any mention of it?
>
>Alan, I just sent you directly a report just like this one, first now I found
>discussion in here.
>
>I think it is related to the File::Spec, since it works fine on a box with
>perl5.8 installed in /usr/local but still the system perl in /usr. But with
>the latest changes perl5.8 is not required (nor should it be, since its not
>required on Linux and such) and it doesnt run.

That depends entirely whether or not the "use.perl" script has been run,
and with arg. If "use.perl port" is run, /usr/bin/perl becomes a symlink
pointing to /usr/local/bin/perl.

>Alan, do you have perl5.8 installed on the box you are testing on?
>Since the configure part of phoenix finds that you got a hidden dependency.

Yes, I use 5.8. However, I have gotten reports that the problems with
perl versioning really lie with File::Spec; that is, that it won't
configure and build with File::Spec < 0.82. This is why I have added the
conditional dependency on the File::Spec port at the bottom of the port
Makefile.

I have seen two reports of the XML Parsing Error in the chrome file, but
no one who had also had a successful build was able to find a way to
reproduce them.

Changing Perl versions isn't that simple a job, either, as I am sure you
realize. To truly do it requires close to a full ports build of whatever
you have locally installed; here, I have 345 ports installed and a full
build of those takes several days. Arrrgh.

Do you have any constructive suggestions on diagnosing this error?
--
Alan Eldridge
Unix/C(++) IT Pro for 20 yrs, seeking new employment.