Date:      Mon, 08 Mar 2010 09:38:46 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt@mac.com>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: another gpt vs mbr (sanity) check

On Mar 8, 2010, at 12:43 AM, Andriy Gapon wrote:

> on 08/03/2010 01:31 Marcel Moolenaar said the following:
>>
>> The best of all worlds doesn't exist anymore. It was how it
>> was designed to be and not how it's used at this time.
>
> So, I guess it is carved in stone and there is no point in trying to discuss it.
> I'll keep the patch for myself, then.

I wouldn't call it carved in stone, but I am definitely slamming
the door closed on first attempt. The reason for this is that
to me this is a rehash of something that has gotten a bit of
thought, whereas for the person suggesting the change it's most
likely just an impulse.

If you can find a way that does not violate the "GPT aware OSes
should use the GPT" rule, you'll definitely be listened to.

To clarify: the protective MBR is there only to protect the GPT
disk from tools that do not understand the GPT. Any GPT-aware
tool will treat the disk as a GPT disk. Consequently: the MBR
is inferior to the GPT...

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt@mac.com