Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 1996 13:12:35 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fdisk and partition info

> > I believe that Bad144 processing [...]
> > And you will note, I have been arguing long and hard for a devfs
> > (since early 1994).
>
> I've noted. :)
>
> > You may have missed this because of the suggested change to the
> > Bad144 table location to just before the swap area I have made
> > previously.
>
> Nope.  I simply didn't care about bad144.  Nor do i now.  My last ESDI
> disk has been thrown out of a window more than a year ago. :)

You don't care because you have turned on SCSI error correction.

This is the wrong thing to do for a stripe set and/or RAID... in
fact, any time when using spindle sync is desirable, since the
spared sector will not be at the synchronized location.  In these
situations media perfection drivers (the class of which Bad144 is
a poor member) must be layered on *top* of the raw disk interface,
not in place of it.

Which is to say, you have yet to encounter this situation except
on old drives because you aren't doing anything very complex with
new drives -- yet.

> This isn't to say that your proposal doesn't have some merit, but it's
> up to others to implement it.

I would be happy to write the code.  It is dependent, at this point,
on other peoples code being there as a foundation.  Without knowing
in advance the shape of the foundation, it's rather irrelevant for
me to go into the prefab building business.  I would just have to
rewrite the code on a moment to moment basis, which is a waste of my
time.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org