Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 1997 11:57:38 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>, Michael Petry <petry@netwolf.NetMasters.com>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Continquous Memory vs Virtual Memory

>From The Desk Of "Louis A. Mamakos" :
> At least for the Bt848 class cards, continguous memory isn't strictly
> required.  From what I could tell reading the data sheet, you should
> easily be able to do scatter DMA to multiple pages when you build the
> RISC program.  Once you've got that working, you ought to then be
> able to accomodate any old buffer that the user specifies, perhaps even
> specified with a uio struct.

Yes, I can do the above and to a limited extent is being done in the
driver right now. The even dma program is done in one block and
the odd is done in another block.

Your idea is a good one. I will look into it . My only reservation
is the added complexity to the routines which build the risc programs.
They are simple and easy to understand by design for the purpose
of being easily maintainable by others.

	Tnks!
	Amancio