Date:      Fri, 20 Jan 2012 17:03:00 -0600
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        Dirk Engling <erdgeist@erdgeist.org>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bumping a pet bug

--wTWi5aaYRw9ix9vO

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 05:11:43AM +0100, Dirk Engling wrote:
> Dear rc team,
>=20
> I know your time is precious, but there is an annoying bug in rc.d/jail
> that keeps littering my (and my user's) servers with stray soft links
> whenever we start jails.
>=20
> I've described the bug two years ago here
>=20
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dconf/143084
>=20
> and even conveniently applied a simple and effective patch.
>=20
> tl;dr: If rc.d/jail can not access $_devdir, a soft link is created in
> ./log =3D> ../var/run/log  no matter where I was.
>=20
> Unfortunally I am still busy answering emails from users of ezjail who
> first look for the problem with themselves, then blame it on ezjail and
> finally complain about FreeBSD. Also I have to clean up my systems from
> all the littering links called "log" pointing nowhere.
>=20
> If please a committer could take the five minutes to look into the bug
> and fix the problem, he could save me and my users a lot of trouble and
> time.

I've committed a similar fixed to head after talking it over a bit with
Simon.  We probably would be checking for success on mounting devfs and
failed the jail entirely if it doesn't happen, but that's a bigger step
and from your description it appears to me that might cause problems in
some scenarios.

-- Brooks

P.S. rc.d/jail fixes are the sort of thing that will often need active
followup when assigned to freebsd-rc.  There's a note at the top that
most of us take to mean "don't touch this file without so approval"
which is a moderate psychological barrier to handling these PRs.

--wTWi5aaYRw9ix9vO

--wTWi5aaYRw9ix9vO--