Date:      Sat, 10 Jun 2000 20:32:38 -0300 (EST)
From:      Luiz Claudio Duarte <arcadia@luiz.claudio.nom.br>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Logitech mouse woes (moused and X)

I have been trying unsuccesfully to get a Logitech three-button serial
mouse to work with moused and X. I believe it is a FirstMouse (at least
it looks like the FirstMouse photos at logitech.com).

Probe mode on moused replies with:

	/dev/cuaa1 serial microsoft generic

I can get the mouse to work with microsoft or mouseman protocols (but no
others). However, the middle button does not work in either mode. I have
configured moused in rc.conf to run as

	moused -p /dev/cuaa1 -c -t mouseman

Things got a little weirder under X. I could not get X to control the
mouse directly (I killed moused), even with the Microsoft protocol. It
works with SysMouse and /dev/sysmouse... but even with "Buttons 3" the
middle button does not work. Worse, although the screen draws ok, many
fonts are not displayed correctly (xterm, for instance, gives an
uniformly black window).

I found a lot of messages about Logitech mice both on -questions and on
Usenet, but I couldn't find one that quite helped solve these problems.
I hope someone here can help. FWIW, here are the relevant(?) parameters
on my XF86Config:

================
Section "Pointer"
        Protocol        "SysMouse"
        Device          "/dev/sysmouse"
        Buttons         3

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "forum local"
        VendorName      "Dell"
        ModelName       "XYZ"
        HorizSync       31.5-35.5 kHz
        VertRefresh     50-70 Hz
        Modeline        "800x600"   36.00   800  840  912 1024   600 601  603 641
        Modeline        "640x480"   25.18   640  664  760  800   480 491  493 525
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "SiS 5597"
        VendorName      "XYZ"
        BoardName       "ZYX"
        Option          "no_accel"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Driver          "svga"
        Device          "SiS 5597"
        Monitor         "forum local"
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           8
                Modes           "800x600"
                ViewPort        0 0
                Virtual         1024 768
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
People don't quit playing because they grow old. They grow
old because they quit playing. (Oliver Wendell Holmes)

LCD (arcadia@luiz.claudio.nom.br)