Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:08:03 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Kevin Lyons <klyons@corserv.corserv.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tcsh is not csh

In the last episode (Nov 11), Kevin Lyons said:
> I have (re)discovered that tcsh is not csh although the tcsh man page
> falsely asserts backward compatibility.  Trying to do a simple read
> of multiword variables in tcsh fails yet works find on csh.  The tcsh
> man page admits as much when one gets to the $< part.
>
> The point is, csh should be the basic backward compatibly lowest
> common denominator between systems.  This is a real problem.  I
> humbly suggest that those that want the bang of tcsh can do a pkg_add
> just like the morons that want bash instead of sh.

You can install the shells/44bsd-csh port if you want the original csh.
Read up on all the arguments for an against the switch in the thread
starting at
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?20000406134916.A23265@dragon.nuxi.com
(sorry, best link I could find), but you're 4 years too late to affect
the outcome...

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com