Date:      Mon, 28 Nov 2016 17:51:49 -0800
From:      "Chris H" <bsdlists@xmail.net>
To:        FreeBSD wireless <freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Realtek RTL8188CE support?

Greetings, all.=0AI recently set out to create a wireless gateway, out o=
f one of my servers.=0AI ran across a PCIe card that had the Realtek 818=
8CE chip on it, and upon=0Afurther investigation, indicated it was a pre=
tty capable chip indeed. So I=0Alooked in hopes of finding FreeBSD suppo=
rted it. While not listed in=0AHARDWARE.txt anywhere. I did find quite a=
 bit of evidence that it was=0Aindeed supported (via rtwn(4)). So I orde=
red one. It just arrived, and I loaded=0Ain loader.conf(5):=0Aif_rtwn_lo=
ad=3D"YES"=0A=0ABut further installation seems to indicate that (at leas=
t in RELENG_11) that=0Athe rtwn(4) driver is (only?) intended for dongle=
s (USB), and not the PCIe=0Aversion(s) of the RTL8188CE chipset. Is this=
 true? If so, is the work on=0ACURRENT (12), which *does* appear to supp=
ort the RTL8188CE, (back)portable=0Ato 11? Normally, I'd find it fairly=
 trivial to back port the changes, but I=0Asee what appears to be a comp=
lete re-organization to the network infrastructure=0Awhere drivers are c=
oncerned.=0AI'm not on 12, and can't make the jump yet. So here's hoping=
.=0A=0AThank you for all your time, and consideration.=0A=0A--Chris=0A--=