Date:      Sun, 03 Nov 2002 01:09:03 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ghost of __sF and COMPAT4X libraries.

In message: <20021103055916.GA31853@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
            Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu> writes:
: The following 4.7 libs make reference to __sF.  Several of the
: corresponding 5.0 libraries still have the same version number.
: We may need to bump the version numbers.
:
: libalias.so.4    libbz2.so.1       libc.so.4        libc_r.so.4
: libcam.so.2      libcom_err.so.2   libcrypto.so.2   libdes.so.3
: libdevstat.so.2  libdialog.so.4    libedit.so.3     libfetch.so.3
: libftpio.so.5    libg2c.so.1       libgmp.so.3      libhistory.so.4
: libipsec.so.1    libisc.so.1       libkdb.so.3      libkrb.so.3
: libkrb5.so.5     libkvm.so.2       libm.so.2        libmp.so.3
: libncp.so.1      libncurses.so.5   libopie.so.2     libpam.so.1
: libpcap.so.2     libperl.so.3      libreadline.so.4 libroken.so.5
: libskey.so.2     libsmb.so.1       libssh.so.2      libstdc++.so.3
: libutil.so.3

We were told when we bumped libc.so from .4 to .5 someone, whose name
escapes me, said we'd have to bump the major version of all libarires
that depend on libc.so.4.  It would appear that we've not done that
step.  Which I thikn means we have to do it for all the ports too.

This is a problem when upgrading from 4.7 -> 5.0 because you have old
shared libaries that appear to be of the right version, but are not
compatible with 5.0.

Let's say port foo installed libfoo.so.9 under 4.7.  Then you upgrade
to 5.0.  When you go to build a port on 5.0 that depends on
libfoo.so.9, it will fail to link because libfoo.so.9 is compiled with
the 4.7 ABI, while the rest of the port is built with the 5.0 ABI.  So
on 5.0 we should depend on libfoo.so.10 so that the port dependency is
handled correctly.

There will be an analogous problem with packages as well.

Warner