Date:      Fri, 07 Mar 1997 09:14:30 -0800
From:      Jason Fesler <jfesler@calweb.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting /usr/ports everywhere...

At 03:54 AM 3/7/97 -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>I've been thinking about this for awhile, and I'm wondering whether or
>not 2.2 might be a good time to unleash /usr/ports as a distribution
>tarball as part of the release.

I could certainly live with that.  We end up doing that here in the
end *anyways*..

>it's no longer supported by sysinstall anyway (it was too slow).  If I
>made ports a simple distribution, similar to the ``compat*'' dists, it
>would be trivial to add it to sysinstall's list of nifty things to
>load and one could also elect to do it at any later time with the same
>install.sh script the other dists have.

I would make it an *option* - people installing on small partitions
(I'm guilty - I'm about to turn my OS2 system into FreeBSD and with
small drives ;-) instead of a required function.

>a *huge* array of questions with "No problem, go to /usr/ports/blah/feh
>and do a ``make install clean'' to install the optional gadget you're

One suggestion:  add (if possible) "make refresh" or "make update"
or "make current" or  *something* that would allow one to easy update
the PORTS directory to whatever is current for that version of the OS.
I don't know how hard it would be to make that an *efficient* mechanism -
personally, I just suck down the entire tar file to update, but I'm
also not  at the end of a 28k modem.

>Comments?  Partially fermented fruit?

I'd share the partially fermented fruit juice with ya, but you won't
accept :-).  Tsk, it's from a fine year as well :-).

--
           Jason Fesler  jfesler@calweb.com  Internic: 'whois jf319'
            Admin, CalWeb Internet Services   http://www.calweb.com