Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2000 02:22:26 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Bart van Leeuwen <bart@ixori.demon.nl>
To:        Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>
Cc:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, Justin Wolf <jjwolf@bleeding.com>, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Displacement of Blame[tm]

Well... I understand some of the issues brought up... the wu-ftpd issue
for example however is one that can work 2 ways.
I can tell my customer that there is a problem with wu-ftpd, and they'll
notice that one of the few OSes who actually send an advisory about it is
FreeBSD. This might make them question the security policies of ther OSes,
and in some cases it does.

A little education and explanation can easily turn this into an
advantage instead of a disadvantage.

Yes, FreeBSD does have a lot of security advisories, but look, those go
far beyond the core system, and they mention things that should be
mentioned by others as well... while those others do not mention those
things. Its a matter of trust, and I can explain to almost all of my
customers that a distributor who actually publishes such information is
far better then one that does not.
Imho it needs to be clear that the problems mentioned in such advisories
apply to more sustems then just FreeBSD. maybe it would be nice to add the
word multivendor to th subject line, this will most likely give customers
a better idea what the advisory is about.

Bart van Leeuwen