Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2001 22:16:02 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        "H. Wade Minter" <minter@lunenburg.org>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.3-R lockup with Xircom RealPort REM56 (non-cardbus)

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 11:48:32AM -0400, H. Wade Minter wrote:
> I'm working with 4.3-RELEASE on my Compaq Armada M700 laptop.  I have a
> Xircom RealPort REM56G (the non-cardbus type) ethernet/modem card.
>
> When I tried the install, it would lock the system with the card in the
> PCMCIA slot.  I removed the card and finished the install, but now
> whenever I put the card in, the system freezes.
>
> The card works under both Linux and Windows on this laptop, so I don't
> think it's hardware.
>
> This card should work under 4.3-R, from what I can tell.  Does anyone have
> any pointers?

The first thing you should do is make sure your PCMCIA controller has an
IRQ assigned to it.  Greg Smith explained how to do this way better than I
would in an earlier thread:

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 01:46:01AM -0700, Greg Smith wrote:
> Jeremiah,
>
> If the Sony card implies a Sony laptop, then you definitely could use
> an irq on the pcic device.
>
> There are three ways to assign an IRQ to the pcic:
>
> 1) the "long" way: rebuild the kernel with
>
> device pcic0 at isa? irq 9
>

> 2) the "Peter" way: update /boot/loader.conf with
>
> machdep.pccard.pcic_irq="09"
>

> 3) the "Greg" way: update /boot/loader.conf with
>
> userconfig_script_load="YES"
>
> and /boot/kernel.conf with
>
> ir pcic0 9
>
> This method assumes your kernel has device pcic0 and not just device
> pcic.  This is true in GENERIC kernels.
>
> [The userconfig solution is generalizable to the various devices (with
> unit numbers) in the kernel, with at least the following commands:
>
>   di sio1            (disable)
>   en pcic1           (enable)
>   po pcm0 0x530      (set port)
>   ir pcic0 9         (set IRQ)
>   dr pcm0 1          (set DRQ)
>   iom pcic0 0xd8000  (set iomem)
>   ios ata2 16        (set iosize)
>   f pcm0 0x10        (set flags)
>   ls                 (list all configurable devices)
>   q                  (last line)
>
> This is very handy on those older machines where it takes a long time
> to rebuild the kernel.  Try boot -c to get the whole picture.]
>
> All examples above assume irq 9 is the one you want to use.  Substitute
> as appropriate.
>
> Greg

The card is definitely supported (I'm using one myself -- the Ethernet-only
model, but it's the same hardware), so chances are this will solve your
problem.  If not, post your dmesg output and we'll see if that sheds any
light on the issue.

Cheers,

	Scott