Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2006 01:03:02 +0200
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?J=FCrgen_Herz?= <juergen@jherz.redirectme.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   (dynamically) linking on FreeBSD

Hi there,

I came across something I don't understand: Building Firefox from the origi=
nal=20
sources failed because it had the linker options "-z defs" set while in the=
=20
compiled code standard functions from libc like malloc, free, fprintf a.s.o=
=2E=20
were used.
Removing this flag, compiling worked and the program is also running fine. =
But=20
I found out that ldd doesn't list libc or libpthread (since -pthread is als=
o=20
used) for the module in question--it also doesn't for the module contained =
in=20
the official Firefox FreeBSD package.

On Linux ldd lists libc and also libpthread for the very same module.

So my question is, those functions are used in the code, references to them=
=20
aren't undefined, but the application nevertheless works. What's up there?

Regards,
J=FCrgen