Date:      Wed, 1 Feb 2012 15:34:38 +0100
From:      Bernhard Schmidt <bschmidt@techwires.net>
To:        "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: iwn Centrino N-1030

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 15:25, Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jan 2012, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>
>> try it with an open AP for now, see if it can exchange data fine?
>
> Sorry I am new to wireless on FreeBSD. Still looking at the handbook,
> but I can't figure out how to get it associated with an open access
> point. (On a different laptop at same location, when I boot a different
> BSD it automatically connects to it with no wireless configuration.)
>
> When I use ifconfig wlan0 scan it shows it. When I run wpa_supplicant
> and then wpa_cli and scan and then scan_results it shows it. I can use
> ifconfig to configure it, but it always says status: no carrier. (When I
> configure it to use my local access point with the nwkey then it is
> associated, but dhclient doesn't work.)
>
> Any pointers to any docs on how to use ifconfig or other (non X11) tool
> to automatically scan and connect to a local AP? =A0(The handbook, as far
> as I see for this, discusses configuring rc.conf so doesn't show me the
> exact commands lines, and I don't want to yet read all through the rc.d
> scripts and network.subr.)

Given an empty rc.conf (no wlan configuration) simply typing
ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev iwn0
ifconfig wlan0 up
should be enough, the rc.conf counterpart should look like
wlans_iwn0=3D"wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0=3D"up"
(no IP in both cases obviously)

Be aware, if you have something configured related to wlan0 in
rc.conf, creating the wlan0 interface will invoke devd which will
invoke /etc/rc.d/netif which will load the configuration. Just so you
don't have to wonder why wpa_supplicant gets started without it being
started explicitly.

So.. if
ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev iwn0
ifconfig wlan0 up
doesn't connect to any open network around, enable debugging with
wlandebug 0xffffffff
and post the results please.

--=20
Bernhard