Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 2008 17:50:41 +0200
From:      Julien Cigar <jcigar@ulb.ac.be>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
Cc:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cloning a gmirrored hard drive

Stupid question: can't you use growfs on the existing gmirror (after
replace /dev/oneofdisk, resync, replace /dev/otherdisk, resync) ?
Is it mandatory to create a *new* gmirror ?

Thanks

On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 14:37 +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> My situation: I have a server with FBSD 7 installed with two 40 GB disks
> >> in RAID 1 (gmirror) config.
> >> Now I have noticed the lack of space on the drive so I am thinking to
> >> change these disks for two 160 GB.
> >> What is the best way to clone the main hard disk in raid 1 config? Is
>
> gmirror remove yourmirrorname /dev/oneofdisk
>
> shutdown and replace this one with 160GB
>
> boot single user
>
> make gmirror with this new 160GB drive (only one drive now so not real
> mirror)
>
> newfs and copy all data make it bootable, shutdown, remove second 40GB
> drive, add second 160GB drive, boot and then
>
> gmirror insert yournewmirror seconddrive
>
> that's all.
Julien Cigar
Belgian Biodiversity Platform
http://www.biodiversity.be
Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
Campus de la Plaine CP 257
Bâtiment NO, Bureau 4 N4 115C (Niveau 4)
Boulevard du Triomphe, entrée ULB 2
B-1050 Bruxelles
Mail: jcigar@ulb.ac.be
@biobel: http://biobel.biodiversity.be/person/show/471