Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2001 23:18:27 -0700
From:      Sean Chittenden <sean-freebsd-stable@chittenden.org>
To:        Jeff Kletsky <Jeff+freebsd@wagsky.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, bmah@freebsd.org
Subject:   FWIW: pkg_alert development (was: Re: pkg/port dependency tool (enclosed))

--rwEMma7ioTxnRzrJ

	Woa!  This has been quite the day for ports-esque development!
Right now I'm working on a related, but different script, pkg_alert,
that's intended to run immediately after a cvsup of the ports tree
(idealy in /etc/weekly.local) that'll run through the list of
currently installed packages and figure out what ports can be upgraded
to a newer version.  Here's a snippet of the output on my box:

imake-4.0.1 can be updated to imake-4.0.3 (imake)
xemacs-comm-packages-2.3 can be updated to xemacs-comm-packages-2.4 (xemacs=
-comm-packages)
xemacs-libs-packages-1.3 can be updated to xemacs-libs-packages-2.3 (xemacs=
-libs-packages)
xemacs-oa-packages-1.3 can be updated to xemacs-oa-packages-1.4 (xemacs-oa-=
packages)
xemacs-prog-packages-2.4 can be updated to xemacs-prog-packages-2.5 (xemacs=
-prog-packages)
xemacs-packages-1.8 can be updated to xemacs-packages-1.9 (xemacs-packages)
bash-2.04 can be updated to bash-2.05 (bash)
freetype2-2.0.1 can be updated to freetype2-2.0.2 (freetype2)
mysql-server-3.23.35 can be updated to mysql-server-3.23.37 (${MASTERPORTNA=
ME})

	There are a few things that I'm still wrestling with/working
on, most notably:

* How do I handle installed packages that don't have an '@comment
  ORIGIN:' tag?  Is there a legacy way of figuring out what directory
  (in ports) a pkg belongs in?

* How do I handle ports that don't have the PORTNAME and PORTVERSION
  variable?  Right now I'm just spitting out warning messages that
  hopefully will inspire me to send patches to the maintainers of ports

* Handling of version numbers that have letters in them: 7.7.6k and 7.7.6kk

* shell/Makefile variables  Traversal of shell/Makefile variables (see abov=
e's mysql-server example)

	Anyway, this is an FYI,FWIW.  If someone wants to help/has
suggestions I can open up cvs access and a cvsupd server.

	CVSweb is up and available at:

http://sean.chittenden.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/utils/sbin/pkg_alert

	-sc

=09

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 08:35:16AM -0700, Jeff Kletsky wrote:
> I would be happy to contribute to the enhancement of the pkg/port tools
> in a more targeted way if the appropriate lead would let me know.
>=20
> Jeff
>=20
> P.S. This type of dependency checking might also allow the "make
> clean" process a bit smarter and faster (the other option there would be
> to specify a flag that says not to follow dependencies on a recursive
> "clean", especially in /usr/ports)

--=20
Sean Chittenden

--rwEMma7ioTxnRzrJ