Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 1996 22:53:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kurt Schafer <kurt@cyberbeach.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   System hung at 'Recovering vi sessions' stage

Sorry if this is a repeat post, but I pulled a quick unsubscribe-resubscribe
to this list cause I suspected that the mail for my domain might still be
resolving to the hung machine rather than this one.

My problem is that one of my NIS client machines is hung at the
'Recovering vi sessions' stage do to a network card that is improperly
configured. It hangs for like 30 minutes before coming back with a
'user unknown' message then moves on and tried to deal with the next
vi session, after an obscenely long delay it gives the error message, etc.

How can I get around this ? CTRL-C is a no go. How can I drop to a shell
prompt with write privileges on the /etc/sysconfig file so that I can make
the appropriate changes to the network device ?

On a side note, how can I get rid of the suspended vi sessions so that I don't
get umpteen 'run nvi -r' type messages every reboot ?

-Kurt