Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 1995 18:25:22 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams), freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISP state their FreeBSD concerns

Charles Henrich writes:
[ Why didn't the 'pause' bug get fixed ]

Nate > There are only so many hours in a day, and those 24 were spent
Nate > making 2.1 as good as it could get.  If this means that the
Nate > system still has a 'feature' of pausing under certain conditions
Nate > I don't mind it as much as rebooting and/or panicing under more
Nate > common scenarios.

> I tend to agree with that, however if Im not mistaken (I could be, its
> been awhile) Matt provided source patches at the time that fixed the
> problems, would it have been that difficult to review the patches and
> apply them?

Since the VM system is *very* sensitive to even minor modifications, I
suspect it would have taken a *very* long to review the patches, apply
them to the system, and then test them.  Even very simple errors can
cause *massive* corruptions, and I'm sure both David and John would
rather avoid that for something as critical as the 2.1 release.

I think you underestimate the time needed to test something so critical
as this.

Nate