Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 08:13:14 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        Elias Athanasopoulos <eatha@cc.uoa.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS client locks.

On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, Elias Athanasopoulos wrote:

:Hi,
:
:I have a Linux box as an NFS server and a FreeBSD box which acts as an
:NFS client. If I explicitly shutdown the NFS services in the Linux box,
:actions like 'df', 'ls /mnt' (/mnt is the mount point of the remote
:directory), or even 'umount /mnt', in the FreeBSD box, seem to lock forever.
:I waited for about 20-25 mins, I got a 'server not responding' message, but
:the processes were still locked and I could not even kill them.
:
:I started again the NFS services in the Linux box and I got a 'server alive'
:message in the FreeBSD box, after about 10 mins.
:
:Is that the correct behaviour? I had a look over /sys/nfs/nfs.h and the

Yep.  That's the expected behavior.  If this is a problem, you can use the
intr to make processes blocked on I/O to the missing filesystems
interruptible.

David