Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 1996 10:44:59 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        jehamby@lightside.com, imp@village.org, lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at, dennis@etinc.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux 96 (my impressions)

> > Advantage:  Linux supports the Amiga filesystem.  Pretty cool since I
>
> I don't think this is anything more than a transient advantage at best. :-)
>
> Speaking as a former Amiga owner and lover, the machine is bleedin'
> DEAD, any protestations from its new owners aside, and it'd be a waste
> of time implementing features like this when our own msdosfs is still
> broken and win95 name support is non-existant. :-(

The VFAT FS has a short an a long name space.

There is no internal support for multiple name spaces in the namei()
interface.

If you have an MSDN Level II subscription for Windows95 developement,
and can read the IFS docuementation, paying specific attention to the
name mangling rules and lookup ordering rules in sections 1., 2., 3., 4.,
8.3.1., 8.3.2., 8.3.3., 8.8.5.10., 8.9., 9., 9.1., 9.2., 9.2.1., 9.2.2.,
8.8.7., and 8.8.7.[1..13]., then you would understand that in order
to resolve a collission, you must reentrantly call lookup while read
locking the target directory against other modification.

This is mostly because the BSD namei() interface is a piece of shit no
one seems prepared to allow a change to because there are one or two
CSRG hackers locked in a closet somewhere, and every once in a while
they shove something out under the door, and God Forbid we lose out
on the ability to integrate those occasional changes.

Place the architectural blame where it belongs.  The VFATFS is not
working not because it is an inherently difficult problem to resolve,
but because the FS interface into which it must be pounded is a
political pariah when it comes to trying to change the damn thing.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.