Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 20:50:37 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Activating the Xircom PS-CE2-10 Ethernet PCCARD.

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 08:09:10AM +0100, Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

> Running:  ifconfig xe0 down ; ifconfig xe0 up
>
> would  resolve my  problem, at  least the  card would  connect  to the
> network and start transmit packets.
>

> Perhaps  it's  only  a   problem  with  pccard_ether  which  does  not
> explicitely put the interface  up, or with other configuration scripts
> which   don't  put   a   up  keyword   in  the   ifconfig_${interface}
> configuration variables, whatever.

It's a problem with the if_xe 'power on' initialisation code that runs when
the card is inserted -- as you've noticed, bringing the interface down and
up again will (sometimes) resolve the problem.

I'm not 100% sure what the problem is yet; one day soon I will go through
the OpenBSD driver (which apparently gets this more correct than if_xe) and
fix it.

There are other problems specific to the CE2 series cards, that you seem to
be experiencing as well (in your next message).  The patches that Kevin
talks about are supposed to deal with this, so please try them out.  I'd
also really appreciate any feedback on whether these patches work or
not... the impression I have at the moment is that they make things so bad
nobody can connect at all to tell me about it :-)

Cheers,

	Scott