Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 00:44:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Steve Wingate <steve@velosystems.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using Memory Disks to Build World

On 11 Jul 2002, Steve Wingate wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-07-11 at 00:03, Annelise Anderson wrote:
> > I would like to do a make world with /usr/obj and /usr/src
> > on memory disks (this system has 2GB RAM, so I figure 512MB
> > for each ought to be enough).  This is a 4.6-stable system.
> >
> > I created some md devices in /dev, but can't make
> > mount_mfs work with something like
> > mount_mfs -s 1048576 /dev/md0 /usr/src
> > or mount_mfs -s 1048576 /dev/md0s1 /usr/src
> >
> What you want is:
> mount_mfs -s 900000 /dev/ad0s1b /usr/obj
> ( for a 450MB'ish MFS)
>
> assuming that device is your swap. Incidentally I tried mounting obj &
> src into MFS on this box then did 'make -jn world' with n going from 2
> to 16 and they were ALL slower than the simple 'make world' with
> everything on disk. Since I can make world in 25 minutes already it
> wasn't the end of the world, how I was sure this would've cut it to < 20
> minutes at least.

Thanks, that worked.  Mine was a few minutes faster (just under 27
minutes) instead of 29 or so on the buildworld, where I used -j16.

Peter Wemm said in an informal forum that the bottleneck is the
"make" command, which has to start running a process before it will
(if I have this right) begin another process.  So with fast disks
and softupdates, it doesn't help much use the memory file system.
But heh, it was fun, and I learned how to do it, thanks to you and
others.  :)

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC