Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2012 21:26:44 +0530
From:      linux freaker <linuxfreaker@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Building a custom FreeBSD ISO with mfi driver

Hi,

I tried installing FreeBSD 9.0 on Dell Server having LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240
card but it couldnt detect hard disk. All I downloaded the mfi driver and
after few tweak able to make it detect the card. Now I am in verse to
create a custom FreeBSD ISO.
I am following this link
http://wiki.idefix.fechner.net/index.php/FreeBSD-Build_Own_CD
All I did till now is:
[code]

Preparing the Local Repository:

mkdir -p /usr/local/etc/cvsup
cp /usr/share/examples/cvsup/cvs-supfile /usr/local/etc/cvsup/ncvs

Edit the file:
*default host=3Dcvsup10.us.freebsd.org
*default base=3D/usr
*default prefix=3D/home/storage/ncvs
*default release=3Dcvs
*default delete use-rel-suffix

*default compress

# Add these
src-all
src-crypto
src-eBones
src-secure
src-sys-crypto
ports-all
doc-all
#www

cvsroot-all

Checkout the sources:

mkdir /home/storage/ncvs
cvsup -g -L2 ncvs

Building the Custom ISO:

Delete /usr/src and check it out from your local repository:

cd /usr
rm -R src
mkdir -p /usr/src
cd /usr
cvs -R  -d /home/storage/ncvs  co  -P -r RELENG_6 src
cd /usr/
cp -pR src src.orig

Applying the Kernel changes:

Move to the arch/conf directory and copy the GENERIC configuration
file to the name you want to give your kernel. For example:

         # cd /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf		=09
         # cp GENERIC MYKERNEL

Comment the following line in the file MYKERNEL by placing # at the
beginning of the line.

         device     cbb    #cardbus (yenta) bridge

Add the following line to the file /usr/src/sys/conf/files .

         dev/mfi/mfi_syspd.c     optional     mfi

  (Note add this line next to the line which has dev/mfi/mfi_cam.c optional=
 mfi)

Copy the attached zip (mfi.zip) file under the path /usr/src/sys/dev
(Before proceeding to next step make sure
 that the directory with name =93mfi=94 does not exist under path
/usr/src/sys/dev/. If already a directory with
 name =93mfi=94 exists, move it to some other folder.

Under the directory /usr/src/sys/dev, run the following command to
unzip the source.

            # tar =96x =96f mfi.zip

[/code]

Now If I see the next suggested steps on
http://wiki.idefix.fechner.net/index...D-Build_Own_CD<http://wiki.idefix.fe=
chner.net/index.php/FreeBSD-Build_Own_CD>
it
says
"..We will use a unattened install procedure to install the own build
kernels so we don't have to modify the sysinstall package.."

Quote:
To use our own install script edit:
/usr/src/usr.sbin/sysinstall/Makefile
and add:
CFLAGS+=3D -DLOAD_CONFIG_FILE=3Dinstall.cfg
Now create a install.cfg file in /usr/src/release for an example see here.
Create a directory for own packages that will be included to the CD:
mkdir -p /root/ownpackages/disc1
Now copy all packages to the directory /root/ownpackages/disc1.
Make a diff with:
cd /usr
diff -Nur src.orig src >/root/patch.diff
No idea if I really need it. What actually packages I need here. Still
didn't get it.

As of now, what I did is added
Code:

CFLAGS+=3D -DLOAD_CONFIG_FILE=3Dinstall.cfg

to /usr/src/usr.sbin/sysinstall/Makefile and created an install.cfg file in
/usr/src/release and created a directory (/root/ownpackages/disc1) for own
packages that will be included to the CD. Skipped this
Quote:
Now copy all packages to the directory /root/ownpackages/disc1.
Just ran :

Code:

cd /usr
diff -Nur src.orig src >/root/patch.diff

Will it be sufficient. When I ran the last command, it's asking file to
patch: