Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2023 14:51:40 -0700
From:      Justin England <justin@rapidcity.net>
To:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   RFB doesn't use client's SetPixelFormat

Greetings,

I am using FreeBSD 13.2-STABLE and have recently attempted to get =
noVNC=E2=80=99s web based VNC client to work with my bhyve VNC consoles, =
but immediately realized that the colors are not correctly displayed =
where essentially the reds and blues are reversed.

After doing some research, that is exactly what is happening.  Web =
browsers seem to use BGR colors where bhyve=E2=80=99s RFB uses RGB.  =
Reading through the mailing lists / forums of noVNC, this appears to be =
a common issue and usually means that the embedded RFB server does not =
properly use the pixel format that the client requests.

After quickly going through the RFB protocol and bhyve=E2=80=99s rfb.c =
source, sure enough, when bhyve receives a SetPixelFormat from the =
client, it basically ignores it and moves on. ( =
rfb_recv_set_pixfmt_msg() )

At this point, I=E2=80=99m not sure what to do next.

Does anybody have a work around for this?

Is this something that will be added in a future release?

Should I file a bug report as recommended by the noVNC developers?

I appreciate any help I can get with this.

Thanks,

Justin England=