Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 11:30:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        dima@tejblum.dnttm.rssi.ru, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Yet Another bug in src/Makefile

> Dmitrij Tejblum scribbled this message on Sep 19:
> > 'make -DCLOBBER world' will not remove /usr/include. It will remove
> > /usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/include instead...
>
> why should it remove /usr/include??  /usr/include is not used for the

Because the original Author of -DCLOBBER specifically wrote it to
destroy the /usr/include tree to make sure that no OLD cruft was
left behind in there.

> building of the resulting binaries install.. why not do a rm -rf /
> if you want to clean out the area your installing to... :)

The installworld target of src/Makefile now needs the following added
to it:
.if defined(CLOBBER)
	rm -rf ${DESTDIR}/usr/include
.endif

> of course there is good argument that the installed to area should
> be clean to prevent old files from contaminating a setup...  but
> if we start to clean out /usr/include, we should also do /{bin,sbin}
> /usr/{bin,share,sbin,lib,libexec} and any others that get installed...
>
> --
>   John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
>   Cu Networking
>
>   Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD