Date:      Sat, 4 Oct 1997 10:01:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Hetzels@aol.com
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSup release identity

In a message dated 97-10-04 03:47:06 EDT, chad@freebie.dcfinc.com (Chad R.
Larson) writes:
>  I guess what I'm suggesting is that CVS should increment a variable, and
>  create a file containing the variable each time a change is committed to
>  a particular branch.  CVSup and CTM would always have that file as part
>  of a fetch, and newvers.sh would know how to pick up and jam that data
>  into vers.c.

Such as my patch to newvers.sh (I posted to STABLE & CURRENT a couple of days
ago) that I use to track the CTM delta number with.

I agree that it needs a little work in order to support cvs & ctm.  One
thought is to make .ctm_status a permant part of the source tree and to have
an additional file .cvs_status that would be used to track version #'s of
source files that have changed between each CTM delta.  That way a CVS user
could pull down modified source files and know how far off from the CTM delta
they are.

Scot