Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:25:55 -0400
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Victor Sudakov <sudakov@sibptus.tomsk.ru>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getting out of ddb(4)

Victor Sudakov wrote:

> Hello.
>
> After a crash the box got into the kernel debugger. All my attempts
> to leave the debugger and continue operation were in vain. What I did:

You don't want to try to keep using the kernel after it has crashed.
The last thing you need is to have your disks trashed by trying to run a
kernel in some inconsistant state.

> 1. Tried 'continue'. It just prints the trap message once again.

The problem is still there, you just ran into it again.

> 2. Tried 'panic'. It says 'Panic from debugger, Uptime 0s' and hangs.
> No disk activity, no more messages. I waited about 5 minutes.

Wasn't the kernel already paniced?

> 3. Cold restart. After a cold restart the kernel would drop into ddb
> again and again. There was no way to boot the box.

That kernel is broken, you need a good kernel to boot the box.

> The only way out for me was to mount the fixit floopy and
> 'mv kernel.old kernel'. Only after that I was able to boot. BTW I
> found out that chflags was not on the floppy, but it is another story.

Yep, get the good kernel and it comes up.  BTW, if the other kernel was
on your root partition, you can load it manually during the boot
sequence by hitting something other than [enter] at the boot prompt and
typing "boot kernel.old"

> Is this behaviour of ddb correct? How do I get out of it next time?
> And why did cold restart not help?

Yep, ddb was trying to let you debug your broken kernel.  You can avoid
this by not running broken kernels. :)

BTW, did this happen on a newly built kernel or did this just suddenly
happen to a good kernel?

  / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org
 / /\/\ \ | | | | | |/ /|_|_  | Views expressed may not reflect those
/_/    \_\|_| |_| |_|\_\|___| | of the Mitre corperation.