Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 2002 01:07:52 -0400
From:      Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports List <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: another ports question

On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 02:27:55PM -0700, paul beard wrote:
>I get a lot of these for modules I have installed with CPAN: I can
>read what it says, but specifying an origin means what? And force
>seems like a bad idea: I think I tried it once and regretted it.
>
> ** The package 'bsdpan-CPAN-1.62' is held by user.
>--->  Skipping 'bsdpan-CPAN-1.62' (specify -f to force)

Held means it's in the held packages array in
/usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf. Those are ports that won't be touched
unless you give -f.

Note there is not a simple way to say "for update everything except held
ports", as -f does double duty, which IMO sucks.

>	No violence, gentlemen -- no violence, I beg of you! Consider
>the furniture!
>		-- Sherlock Holmes
Throw the chairs into the fireplace. -- Michael Stipe
--
Alan Eldridge
Unix/C(++) IT Pro, 20 yrs, seeking new employment.