Date:      Sat, 30 Dec 2017 00:08:49 -0700
From:      Ross Alexander <rwa@athabascau.ca>
To:        Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
Cc:        Freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: crochet rpi2 boot won't play nice for me...

On Thu, 28 Dec 2017, Mark Millard wrote:

> [... :rwa:]

> Hmm. There is a bootcode.bin but these days it is from
> sysutils/rpi-firmware instead of from
> sysutils/u-boot-rpi2 :
>
> # ls /usr/local/share/rpi-firmware/
> LICENCE.broadcom config.txt fixup_cd.dat fixup_x.dat start_cd.elf start_x=
.elf
> bootcode.bin fixup.dat fixup_db.dat start.elf start_db.elf
>
> # ls /usr/local/share/u-boot/u-boot-rpi2/
> README u-boot.bin

Oh, nice catch.  I've twisted up a copy of sysutils/rpi-firmware.
Copying that stuff into what crochet built on da0s1 got me to a boot
prompt, as thus:

     U-Boot 2017.09 (Dec 26 2017 - 11:11:20 -0700)

     DRAM:  948 MiB
     RPI 2 Model B (0xa21041)
     MMC:   sdhci@7e300000: 0
     reading uboot.env

     ** Unable to read "uboot.env" from mmc0:1 **

This can't be good ...

     Using default environment

     In:    serial
     Out:   vidconsole
     Err:   vidconsole
     Net:   No ethernet found.
     starting USB...
     USB0:   Core Release: 2.80a
     scanning bus 0 for devices... 3 USB Device(s) found
           scanning usb for storage devices... 0 Storage Device(s) found
     Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
     switch to partitions #0, OK
     mmc0 is current device
     Scanning mmc 0:1...
     Found FreeBSD U-Boot Loader (bin)
     reading ubldr.bin
     232980 bytes read in 31 ms (7.2 MiB/s)
     ## Starting application at 0x01000000 ...
     Consoles: U-Boot console
     Compatible U-Boot API signature found @0x3af5d988

     FreeBSD/armv6 U-Boot loader, Revision 1.2
     (Fri Dec 29 02:27:06 MST 2017 toor@augur2.bogons)

     DRAM: 948MB
     Number of U-Boot devices: 1
     U-Boot env: loaderdev not set, will probe all devices.
     Found U-Boot device: disk
       Probing all disk devices...
       Checking unit=3D0 slice=3D<auto> partition=3D<auto>... good.
     Booting from disk0:

     can't load 'kernel'

     Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
     loader>

which is great, now all I have to do is remember the syntax for
the boot path.  lsdev shows

     loader> lsdev
     disk devices:
            disk0 (MMC)
            disk0s1: DOS/Windows
            disk0s2: FreeBSD
            disk0s2a: FreeBSD UFS
     net devices:
            net0:

A naive "boot -s disk02a:/boot/kernel/kernel" doesn't work, and
ls isn't implemented.  Nothing I can think of is a good path.
Mounting the mmscd on the devel box shows:

     augur2:/root # mount -o ro /dev/da0s2a /mnt0
     augur2:/root # ls -l /mnt0/boot/kernel/kernel
     -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  10649356 Dec 29 02:27 /mnt0/boot/kernel/ker=
nel

     augur2:/root # file /mnt0/boot/kernel/kernel
     /mnt0/boot/kernel/kernel: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, EABI5 versio=
n 1 \
     (FreeBSD), dynamically linked, interpreter /red/herring, for FreeBSD 1=
2.0 \
     (1200054), not stripped

Anyway I'm downloading an image from ftp.freebsd.org and will see
what I can learn from inspecting it.  I'm surprised that crochet
has lost track of the pi2, though.  Lots of them still out there.

regards,
Ross

-
Ross Alexander, (780) 675-6823 desk / (780) 689-0749 cell, rwa@athabascau.c=

        It is not of the essence of mathematics to be conversant with
        the ideas of number and quantity.
                        -- George Boole
--
This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to whom it is a=
ddressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and or privileged informa=