Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 1997 22:46:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        drose@awav.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Still no go

On Mon, 30 Dec 1996, David Rose wrote:
 % I'm still dead in the water with 'user ppp' connecting through my
 % providers Ascend Max200. I called my ISP provider and all he could
 % tell me is that it will not prompt for username or password. I have
 % FreeBSD and Windows95 both on this machine and Windows95 will connect
 % though this Server/Router.  He did say that it uses PAP to
 % authenticate and I have tried PAP without any luck. Apparently, I'm
 % doing something wrong but I'm not sure what.

Try the following in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf:

your-isp:
 enable pap
 accept pap
 set authname your-username
 set authkey  your-password
 set openmode active
 set phone 9999999
 set ifaddr ....

This will tell your ppp to use pap authentication and to start the
conversation itself.