Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 2015 05:26:23 +0200
From:      Tomasz Sowa <t.sowa@ttmath.org>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mixer failure after MATE upgrade to 1.10.0

> The exact error I get is:
> The panel encountered a problem while loading
> "MixerAppletFactory::MixerApplet".

The same for me.

> I can run mate-volume-control but it lacks a mixer. The applet
> is already running, but offers no mixer, either.

I don't have the mixer too, this seems to be an upstream bug:
https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-media/issues/62
https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-media/issues

> Along with the clock, battery, and hplip applets, it is in the
> far right portion of the top panel and seems to be neither
> movable nor removable. Of these, only the clock seem to be
> present in the list presented by "Add to
> panel". Could my database for the panel be corrupt in some way?

Some other applets such as a system monitor will not display at all.
If you have installed ports from svn you can revert to the 1.8 version
following ports:

# cd /usr/ports/x11/mate-applets
# svn up -r 382163
# make all reinstall clean
# cd /usr/ports/x11/mate-panel
# svn up -r 374688
# make all reinstall clean
# cd /usr/ports/audio/mate-media
# svn up -r 386756
# make all reinstall clean

After that the applets work correctly and you will have the mixer too.

If you are using portsnap then move for a while /usr/ports and checkout
ports from svn.
# cd /usr
# mv ports ports.portsnap
# svn co svn://svn.freebsd.org/ports/head ports

> In any case, I just noticed that the MixerAppletFactory files
> are found by "locate", but don't exist. So they were present
> last Saturday when the locateDB was updated, but must have
> been deleted by the mate-1.10 upgrade. So it looks like the
> only mixer is the command line one (mixer(1)). I am
> baffled as to why this would be eliminated.

You can also check audio/xfce4-mixer, that mixer looks reasonable.

I am very confused how the mate developing is going, either the
developers are too busy or noone cares about this project. Some time ago
I found a bug in caja:
http://forums.mate-desktop.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3093
I have created a path:
https://github.com/mate-desktop/caja/pull/309
https://github.com/mate-desktop/caja/pull/307
but within year the developers are not able to either commit it or just
say something.

--
Tomek