Date:      Sun, 17 May 1998 16:25:32 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3C905

Evren Yurtesen and Wes Peters conversed thusly:
> > > I have an 3c905 ethernet adapter,
> > >
> > > normally I use an ne2000 compatible isa adapter...
> > > but when I take it out and put 3c905 and configure networking
> > > it does not want to work...
> > > well at startup it finds the ethernet as vx0 device
> > >
> > > what can be going bad?
> >
> > Your network interface in /etc/rc.conf only has "ed0".  Change the
> > ed0 setting to vx0 and all *should be* fine.
> >
> I already changed it :)
> but it did not help any...

What link speed is the card using, and what kind of hub do you have
it plugged into?  I've heard others mention that automagic link speed
detection often doesn't work on the vx driver.  You may need to set
the speed using the DOS setup program if this is the problem.  (I
think the dmesg output will tell you what speed the driver is trying
to use.)