Date:      Wed, 17 May 95 11:50:46 CDT
From:      Jim Babb <babb@sedhps01.mdc.com>
To:        babkin@hq.icb.chel.su (Serge A. Babkin)
Cc:        rashid@haven.ios.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 3c509B woes ( B models only!)

> > 	I've seen this probably on 4 or 5 different computers -
> > 	the FreeBSD ( including 0412SNAP) doesn't see particular
> > 	B ( with parallel processing) 3C509B card.
>
> May be it has a different product ID ? if_ep.c checks it for
> the "right" value. Look at lines 219 and 316 (checks for MFG_ID
> and PROD_ID).

I also have several new systems here that have the same problem.

They are IBM 730-P90's with a 3COM 3C509B-TP (with parallel processing)
interface cards.  (ASSY 03-0021-201 REV A).

The probe is finding the card at 0x300, reports it is in test mode,
then says the EEPROM failed to come ready, which causes a return
value of 0xffff for the PROD_ID,  and then the card is ignored.
I tried changing the delays that others have suggested, with no help.
This is with 950412.snap.

I suspect that 3com has 'improved' the card such that a driver change
is needed.
I can help test out changes if anyone has some ideas of what to try.

Jim