Date:      Sat, 1 Jul 2000 18:51:04 -0600 (MDT)
From:      John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu>
To:        lex manno <lexmanno@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vi? lynx? please!

Hi, troll

I'll bite: The reason vi and lynx are still there is because they work,
which is more than I can say for Netscape.  The other good reason that
they're still here is that they maintain a minimal footprint, on the order
of one percent of the diskspace of alternatives you proposed.  You might
not have thought of this, but what happens when you try to fit the entire
operating system on a zip disk or smaller?  As far as I'm concerned, EMACS
and Netscape are the evils of bloatware incarnate: they don't deride EMACS
as "eight megabytes and constantly swapping" for no reason, and Netscape
is a tangled mess of code so bad that one wonders how it ever worked in
the first place.

For God's sake, go back under your bridge, you bother me

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, lex manno wrote:

> hi there,
>
> Well, I've been using FBSD for almost a year now and I
> was wondering. Isn't it about time to remove primitive
> stuff like vi and lynx from the o.s.?
>
> I mean, when there are editors like Joe and Emacs and
> browsers like Netscape, why do we need to keep all
> these antiquated monsters?
>
> For God's sake, let us modernize!
>
> bye,
> lex

You have paid nothing for the preceding, therefore it's worth every penny
you've paid for it: if you did pay for it, might I remind you of the
immortal words of Phineas Taylor Barnum regarding fools and money?