Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 1996 23:17:04 +0000 ()
From:      Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe <mitayai@constantchange.on.ca>
To:        Kevin <kwebb@blvl.igs.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: obtaining a copy of FreeBSD

On Mon, 11 Mar 1996, Kevin wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am interested in obtaining a copy of FreeBSD, but I have had
> trouble finding the exact ftp directory.  I tried to download it from
> the site ftp://FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD, but I didn't know which
> following directories I should use. I tried a few of them, but never
> coming up with the proper installable FreeBSD distribution files.

before you do anything, do an anomous ftp to ftp.freebsd.org, enter the
directory /pub/FreeBSD/2.1.0-RELEASE and grab README.TXT and INSTALL.TXT.

the first file you need is in /pub/FreeBSD/2.1.0-RELEASE/floppies, called
boot.flp with is a raw disk image (read INSTALL.TXT for its use).

If you have a net connection, either ethernet or PPP, that's all you
really need as the install can suck everyhting across the net... but the
INSTALL.TXT doc tells you all that, and the alternatives too.

There are also handy references at http://www.freebsd.org.

If you can't get into ftp.freebsd.org, try ftp.io.org in the directory
/pub/systems/FreeBSD/2.1.0-RELASE.

Good Luck!

-Mit
 doing his public service messages as thanks for the help people here
 gave given him. :)