Date:      Sun, 05 May 2002 15:07:42 -0400
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        Mike Jackson <mjj@pp.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, andy@CRWdog.demon.co.uk
Subject:   Re: hp omnibook 6000

--==_Exmh_-834071916P

> There is a way to set vesa modes at boot, but they do not work
> with the ati rage mobility card as far as I could tell. I guess they
> work with something, because they are there :)

They work with other cards, yes.

> You can get high resolution fonts and 1024x768 screen by using
> vidcontrol, if your video card is supported. I couldn't seem to find out
> which ones were and which ones weren't.
>
> example:
> vidcontrol -g 100x37 VESA_800x600

Yes, this doesn't work for me with the ATI card in this laptop.

I've seen other VGA cards support various VESA modes, including the fabled
132x60.

The ATI Mobility really doesn't support too much that's useful WRT VESA or
text modes. I think it'll do 80x30, but that's about it (and it looks horrible
too, IIRC).

Regards,

AS

--==_Exmh_-834071916P