Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 2002 05:07:50 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/45126: ports with broken PORTCOMMENTs

>Number:         45126
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       ports with broken PORTCOMMENTs
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD 4-STABLE

Unescaped parenthesis in PORTCOMMENTs lead to uninstallable ports.
Here is the current list of ports containing these unfortunate sequences.

>How-To-Repeat:

marck@kucha:/pub/FreeBSD/ports/ports> find . -name 'Makefile*' | xargs grep 'PORTCOMMENT.*('
./archivers/xpk/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=   The eXternal PacKer (XPK) library system
./audio/gdcd/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=      CD player for the X Window System using the GIMP Tool Kit (GTK)
./audio/libsndfile/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=        Reading and writing files containing sampled sound (like WAV or AIFF)
./audio/xmixer/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=    Audio mixer (gtk and Xlib) for X11R6
./audio/speex/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=     An open-source (LGPL) patent-free voice codec
./benchmarks/iozone21/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=     Performance Test of Sequential File I/O (older version)
./chinese/cless/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=   A better pager utility (and it speaks Chinese)
./chinese/gb2ps/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=   Converts Chinese GB (simple) encoded text to PostScript
./comms/lrzsz/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=     Receive/Send files via X/Y/ZMODEM protocol.  (unrestrictive)
./comms/snooper/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=   Serial line protocol analyzer (need two serial interfaces)
./comms/tits/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=      A server which provides telnet(1) access to one or more tty ports
./comms/zmtx-zmrx/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT= Receive/Send files via ZMODEM protocol.  (unrestrictive)
./databases/mdbtools/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=      Utilities and libraries to export data from MS Access databases (.mdb)
./databases/p5-GDBM/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=       Perl module to use the GNU Data Base Manager (gdbm)
./databases/p5-Msql/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=       Perl5 modules for accessing MiniSQL (mSQL) databases
./databases/cyrus-imspd/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=   The cyrus IMSP (Internet Message Support Protocol) server
./devel/ElectricFence/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=     Debugging malloc() that uses the VM hardware to detect buffer overruns
./devel/bison/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=     A parser generator from FSF, (mostly) compatible with Yacc
./devel/cook/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=      Like make(1), but more powerful and clean
./devel/elfio/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=     ELF (Executable and Linkable Format) reader and producer
./devel/py-vmaps/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=  Python Arrays on mmap()
./devel/gtgt/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=      General (or GNU) template generation tools
./devel/jam/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=       A build utility like make(1)
./devel/kimwitu++/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT= A tool for processing trees (i.e. terms)
./devel/p5-Religion/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=       Perl5 module to install die() and warn() handlers
./devel/pedisassem/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=        A disassembler for Win32 code (PE format)
./devel/uds/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=       UDS (Useful Development Stuff) Collection
./emulators/xzx/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=   ZX Spectrum (48K/128K/+3) Emulator for X11
./ftp/jmirror/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=     FTP mirroring program written in PERL (REQUIRES PERL5,Net::FTP)
./ftp/profxp/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=      FXP (server-to-server FTP) client
./ftp/yafc/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=        Yet another ftp client. Similar to ftp(1)
./ftp/yale-tftpd/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=  Enhanced tftpd(8) from Yale University and cisco Systems
./games/taipan/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=    Taipan was (and is) a classic role-playing game from the 1980s
./games/xhexagons/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT= Hexagons puzzle (similar to Fifteen Puzzle) for X Window System
./graphics/ImageMagick/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=    Image processing tools (interactive optional--misc/display conflict)
./graphics/flashplayer/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=    GPL standalone Flash (TM) player
./graphics/libflash/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=       GPL Flash (TM) Library
./graphics/libwmf/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT= Tools and library for converting Microsoft WMF (windows metafile)
./graphics/p5-Chart-PNGgraph/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=      A Perl module for generating presentation graphics (i.e., charts)
./graphics/svg2swf/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=        Convert an SVG file into a Macromedia Flash (swf) file
./graphics/claraocr/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=       Optical character recognition (OCR) utility
./graphics/maverik/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=        A publicly available virtual reality (VR) system
./graphics/hdf5/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=   Hierarchical Data Format library (from NCSA)
./japanese/jed/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=    A SLang-based text editor (w/ Japanese support)
./japanese/libjconv/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=       Japanese charset conversion library powered by iconv(3)
./japanese/tcsh-nls-asuka/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT= Japanese NLS catalog for TCSH. ("Soryu Asuka Langley" taste)
./japanese/tcsh-nls-ayanami/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=       Japanese NLS catalog for TCSH. ("Ayanami Rei" taste)
./japanese/tcsh-nls-generic/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=       Japanese NLS catalog for TCSH. ("Generic Japanese" taste)
./japanese/tcsh-nls-koshiki/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=       Japanese NLS catalog for TCSH. ("Koshiki Yukari" taste)
./japanese/tcsh-nls-merril/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=        Japanese NLS catalog for TCSH. ("Merril" taste)
./japanese/tcsh-nls-miyakonjo/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=     Japanese NLS catalog for TCSH. ("Miyakonjo" taste)
./japanese/tcsh-nls-multi/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT= Japanese NLS catalog for TCSH. ("Multi" taste)
./japanese/tcsh-nls-rishu/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT= Japanese NLS catalog for TCSH. ("Rishu" taste)
./japanese/tcsh-nls-roomi/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT= Japanese NLS catalog for TCSH. ("Roomi" taste)
./japanese/tcsh-nls-ruri2/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT= Japanese NLS catalog for TCSH. ("Hoshino Ruri" taste)
./japanese/weblint97/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=      An internationalized HTML checker with japanese message(EUC-JP)
./lang/intel2gas/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=  Converts Intel assembly language (nasm) to AT&T syntax (gas)
./lang/itcl/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=       [incr Tcl] (A.K.A. "itcl")
./lang/gcc31/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=      GNU Compiler Collection 3.1 (inprogress version)
./lang/gcc32/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=      GNU Compiler Collection 3.1 (inprogress version)
./math/calctool/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=   A multi-GUI (text, X, xview, NeWS, sunview) calculator program
./math/physcalc/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=   Extremely flexible calculator that behaves much like units(1)
./mbone/wbd/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=       A shared drawing (whiteboard) tool using multicast, compatible with wb
./misc/display/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=    Runs command repeatedly; shows output (can conflict with ImageMagick)
./misc/viz/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=        Convert invisible (binary) characters to a visible form
./misc/wmstock/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=    Cool WindowMaker Dockapp that shows stock ticker(s)
./misc/wmtunlo/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=    A bo(O)oooring 2d tunnel in wmaker dock
./net/p5-Cflow/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=    Analyze raw flow files written by cflowd (Cisco NetFlow data)
./net/p5-XPC/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=      XML Procedure Call (XPC)
./net/poptop/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=              Windows 9x compatible PPTP (VPN) server
./news/yencode/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=    A free (GPL) encoder and decoder for the yEnc Usenet file format
./print/amspsfnt/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=  AMSFonts PostScript Fonts (Adobe Type 1 format)
./print/cmpsfont/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=  Computer Modern PostScript Fonts (Adobe Type 1 format)
./print/lyx/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=       Document processor interfaced with LaTeX (nearly WYSIWYG)
./print/pclprint/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=  Utility for printing to HP (Laser,Desk)Jets using PCL rather than PS
./print/rtf2latex/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT= A filter that converts RTF (MS Rich Text Format) into LaTeX
./print/xdvik/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=     DVI Previewer(kpathsearch) for X
./print/xtem/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=      Tcl/Tk-based development menu (environment?) for TeX
./print/pktrace/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=   Scalable PostScript (Type1) Fonts for MetaFont
./russian/rispell/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT= Russian (KOI8-R) dictionary for ISPELL
./security/acid/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=   Analysis Console for Intrusion Databases (ACID) with Snort and MySQL
./security/gag/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=    A stacheldraht (DOS attack) agent detector
./security/libident/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=       A small library to interface the ident protocol server (rfc1413)
./security/libmcrypt/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=      Multi-cipher cryptographic library (used in PHP3)
./security/lsh/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=    A secure (encrypted) remote shell compatible with ssh 2.0
./security/p5-Crypt-UnixCrypt/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=     Perl module implementing crypt(3) function
./security/slurpie/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=        A passwd file cracker (supports distributed nodes)
./security/ssh/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=    Secure shell client and server (remote login program)
./security/tinc/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=   A Virtual Private Network (VPN) daemon
./textproc/agrep/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=  Approximate grep (fast approximate pattern-matching tool)
./textproc/p5-XML-RSS/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=     Perl extension to manage RDF Site Summary (RSS) files
./textproc/rtf2htm/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=        A command-line converter from RTF (Rich Text) to HTML
./textproc/xslint/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT= XSL(T) stylesheet checker
./textproc/p5-xmltv/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=       Set of programs to process TV (tvguide) listings in XML format
./www/mod_sed/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=     An apache module that embeds a copy of the sed(1) command
./www/w3c-httpd/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=   WWW server from the W3 Consortium (W3C)
./x11/xcolors/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=     Display all (ok, most of) the colors in the universe
./x11/xclip/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=       An interface to X selections ("the clipboard") from the command line
./x11-fonts/xfed/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=  A program that will let you edit X fonts (.bdf files)
./x11-toolkits/itk/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=        [incr Tk] (A.K.A. "itk")
./x11-toolkits/iwidgets/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=   [incr Widgets] (A.K.A. "iwidgets")
./x11-toolkits/xg/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT= Windows(tm) controls - like widget set for Motif(tm)
./x11-wm/amiwm/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=    A window manager that makes your desktop look like an Amiga(TM)
./x11-wm/piewm/Makefile:PORTCOMMENT=    A tvtwm with pie (circular) menus

>Fix:

I suppose some generic fix should be provided by /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk, but
I'm not able to compose it yet. OTOH, in-place sed update may be sufficient.