Date:      Sat, 28 Dec 2002 16:52:31 +0000
From:      Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk>
To:        "Murat Bicer" <murat+freebsd@bicer.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security updates on freebsd stable

At 11:28 28/12/2002 -0500, Murat Bicer wrote:
>Once I choose to use a stable version of freebsd, What are the ways to
>apply a security patch to all these servers?

   The canonical solution is to track RELENG_4_x by building on one machine
and installing over NFS; see
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/small-lan.html
for details.  A few days ago I released a binary updates system, but I
wouldn't suggest using it unless you know what you're doing.

>I need to automate this for 10000 servers.

   That's a lot of servers.  What are they all doing?  If you're dealing
with a failure-tolerant cluster, you'll have much more freedom in how you
upgrade things than if the machines operate independently.

Colin Percival