Date:      Tue, 12 May 2009 01:32:24 +0300
From:      "Markus A. Wipfler" <markus@infocom.co.ug>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Etinc & Freebsd retransmit problem

--Apple-Mail-6--366543816

Hi all,

we use the ETINC bandwidth manger running on freebsd 7.0. Our setup in
a nutshell is:

Clients--------FreebsdEtincBox------------
TranspartentSquidBoxes----------Internet.

i am using etinc in bridge mode. I have a firewall rule on my external
interface (fxp3) that should redirect http traffic to an external
squid server:
/usr/bwmgr/utils/bwmgr fxp3 -x 101 -name markustest -fw -o -dport 80 -
saddr MYIPADDR -proxydev fxp3 -proxyaddr SQUIDMACADDR

the http requets is correctly redirected to the proxy:
squid log: TCP_MISS/200 6665 GET http://www.google.co.ug/ - DIRECT/
74.125.39.105 text/html

however the page fails to open and firefox displays below error:
The connection was reset

Running wireshark (on the machine that requested the webpage) to check
for traffic on port 80 gives me the below output:
1 TCP Connection establish request (SYN): server port http
2 TCP Connection establish acknowledge (SYN+ACK): server port http
4 HTTP GET /HTTP/1.1\r\n
10 TCP Retransmission (suspected)
11 TCP Duplicate ACK (#1)
12 TCP Connection reset (RST)
13 TCP Connection reset (RST)
14 TCP Retransmission (suspected)

when i remove the etinc box between the squid box and the desktop
everything works correctly:
1 TCP Connection establish request (SYN): server port http
2 TCP Connection establish acknowledge (SYN+ACK): server port http
4 HTTP GET http://www.google.co.ug/HTTP/1.1\r\n
18 HTTP HTTP/1.0 200 OK\r\n
18 TCP Connection finish (FIN)

I opened a trouble ticket with etinc who promptly replied and informed
me that etinc doesn't modify the tcp header at all. So my next step is
to find out if the problem could be with the under lying OS. Any help
is highly appreciated.

--
Markus

--Apple-Mail-6--366543816--