Date:      Tue, 7 Apr 1998 20:11:55 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Summary: shopping for new video adapter

As Mike Smith wrote...
> > I've been asked for a summary, so here it is:

[snip]

> > So, people sound pleased and I'll probably be getting in the near term.

Make this: _most_ people are pleased (Mike obviously is not)

> > Snippets of received comments:
> > Not unless you are willing to buy Xaccel.  XFree86 doesn't support it
> > very well at all.  Xaccel 4.01 is pretty good, modulo some
> > font-handling bugs.
>
> This is my comment, I'll make it again.  I have an MII, I have the
> latest XFree86, and Xaccel 4.01.  Xaccel is sufficiently buggy that I
> have to use XFree occasionally (colour and font handling).  I would
> not want to be using it on a regular basis (it reminds me of the old
> days with the S3 server in its infancy), however, as the XFree server
> has a number of extremely annoying and distracting cosmetic problems.
>
> If you can live with swarming ants, random pixel garbage and occasional
> snow, by all means go for it.  Otherwise, hang back a few months and
> let the nice XFree MII hackers finish the job.

Maybe I'm overlooking something, but in re-reading your original comment
I get the impression that you are quite a bit more distressed in your
followup comment than in the original one. Sorry if you feel
mis-interpreted..

But for some reason the majority of the people don't have problems ??
Don't ask me why.

NB I also found: http://www.bf.rmit.edu.au/~ajv/xf86-matrox.html when
looking for Matrox info.

Wilko