Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2012 16:03:16 -0700
From:      prabhakar lakhera <prabhakar.lakhera@gmail.com>
To:        satish amara <satishkamara@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LLA (Link local address) in FreeBSD route command

comment inline:

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 6:33 AM, satish amara <satishkamara@gmail.com>wrote:

> I gave reference to old man page because it talks about scope which is
> related to link local address of IPV6.
> I don't see the latest man page talks about link-local address of IPV6. So
> I am looking for how routes for link-local address are handled in latest
> BSD Stack.

> I see some configurations where people are giving link-local address
> as gateway.
> So I am trying to see whether these configuration are valid and if
> not there could be bug.

RFC 4861 seems to be mandating indirect routes with LLA gateway in order to
process redirects. There's no reason why user should not be allowed to add
static routes with LLA gateways (actually there's a case to not allow non
LLA gateways for RFC compliance):

 In RFC 4861 Section: 8.1. Validation of Redirect
Messages<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4861#page-74>;
 we have the following bullets:

 A host *MUST *silently discard any received Redirect message that
does not satisfy all of the following validity checks:
     - IP Source Address is a link-local address. Routers *MUST *use
their link-local address as the source for Router Advertisement and
Redirect messages so that hosts can uniquely identify routers.
     - The IP source address of the Redirect is the same as the
current first-hop router for the specified ICMP Destination Address.