Date:      Mon, 14 May 2012 16:25:41 -0700
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Bryan Drewery <bryan@shatow.net>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BUILD_DEPENDS= RUN_DEPENDS=

On May 14, 2012, at 4:13 PM, Bryan Drewery wrote:
> I was trying to append to these in my /etc/make.conf and found that a
> large (thousands) number of ports are using = instead of +=, thus
> destroying any user-supplied depends.

Yes.  I think this may even be intentional on the part of the various
port maintainers, but the notion of user-supplied additional dependencies
is interesting.  :-)

> The use case for wanting to do this is to force devel/ccache to be a
> build dependency on all ports, for package building. Or to force in a
> particular library along with LDFLAGS into particular ports. This is
> achievable by modifying bsd.local.mk, but is not ideal.

Why do you need ccache added to the build dependencies to use it?
Can't you just change CC/C++?

> This goes along with updating all CLFAGS/LDFLAGS to use += instead of =.

For most cases, sure, I would agree that CFLAGS/LDFLAGS should use +=.

Regards,
--
-Chuck