Date:      Fri, 03 Nov 2000 09:09:09 -0500
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
Cc:        Micheal O Dowd <mehally@eircom.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

Ernst de Haan wrote:

> Hi Micheal,
>
> I'm running FreeBSD on a Pentium 2-400/128MB, a Celeron 566/128MB and on a
> 486 DX2-66/16MB. FreeBSD runs fine on the 486, but X (with KDE and Netscape
> 4.x) is horrible. Very slow. It takes a few minutes to startup X, KDE and
> Netscape. But once Netscape is running, the speed is `acceptable'. So it can
> be used to visit internet sites (HotMail mainly), but don't expect too much of
> the graphical part.
>
> I think your harddisk is too small if you want to run X, but if you don't,
> then it should be just fine.
>
> Ernst
>
> Micheal O Dowd wrote:
> > can i run freeBSD on my IBM Thinkpad 750C
> > 486 33
> > 12 mb
> > 540 HD

That should be enough to run X really.  I used to run X (back in the 2.x
days) on a 300MB partition.  Netscape WILL be slow, but usuable (just be
prepared to wait a Looong time for it to start).  Also, be sure you get
Navigator instead of Communicator (unless you really really want to use
the builtin news and mail), since it has a smaller memory footprint and
generally starts much faster on older machines.  Also, be prepared to
spend a lot of time swapping if you plan to run X with 12mb of ram.

--
  / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org