Date:      14 Feb 2012 20:16:23 -0000
From:      "John Levine" <johnl@iecc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printing directly to IP address

>same way I do, via a wireless network. The difference is that I am
>using CUPS to achieve that goal. My friend would like to do it sans
>CUPS if possible.

If the printer supports the hoary lpd protocol, you can configure it
in /etc/printcap.  If it wants socket or IPP protocols, CUPS is the
least painful route.

Installing CUPS on freebsd is pretty straightforward.  The main wart
is that you have to manually move all the lpr commands in /usr/bin out
of the way and symlink them to the CUPS versions in /usr/local/bin.
Other than that, the web config works great, and it has drivers for
vast numbers of printers, particularly when you also install hplip.

R's,
John
--
Regards,