Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 2002 02:56:48 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Rahim Anderson <rahim@qx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: portupgrade

Rahim Anderson wrote:

> On a whim I used portupgrade today, just to see how it worked and everything
> (this is on a box used mostly for testing) and got the following errors...
>
> dhcp-849-11# portupgrade -a
> cd: can't cd to /usr/ports/devel/ruby-fnmatch
> cd: can't cd to /usr/ports/devel/ruby-optparse
> ** The port directory for 'devel/ruby-optparse' does not exist.
> ** The port directory for 'devel/ruby-fnmatch' does not exist.
> ** The port directory for 'sysutils/pkg_tarup' does not exist.
> --->  Skipping 'sysutils/portupgrade' (portupgrade-20020429) because
> 'sysutils/pkg_tarup' (pkg_tarup-1.2_3) failed
>
> Is this somethig that will resolve itself, or did I do something to cause
> this?  all ports were updated before running portupgrade, and again
> afterwards to see if there had been any further changes.

There are cases that portupgrade doesn't appear to handle. An upgrade
to qt and kde at the same time was another one. Portupgrade of qt
tried to start with kdebase instead of kdelibs and the build of
kdebase failed. You could portupgrade qt and then recursively upgrade
kdelibs.

The current dependancy list for portupgrade is

opal# search portupgrade
Port:   portupgrade-20020921
Info:   Very powerful FreeBSD ports/packages upgrading tool and more
Maint:  knu@FreeBSD.org
Index:  sysutils
B-deps: ruby-1.6.7.2002.09.12
R-deps: ruby-1.6.7.2002.09.12 ruby-bdb1-0.1.7
ruby-shim-ruby18-1.7.3.2002.09.12

It is almost easier to pkg_delete the old list and just manually build
and install portupgrade-20020921.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart