Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 10:51:01 -0500
From:      "Eric F Crist" <ecrist@adtechintegrated.com>
To:        "'Michael Sierchio'" <kudzu@tenebras.com>, "'Dag-Erling Smorgrav'" <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        "'Ryan Thompson'" <ryan@sasknow.com>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Password security

I'm not advocating biometrics 100% here, I was simply offering another
solution to Ryan's problem. I've used biometrics in government
situations, where the budget will support it (State of MN), but most
companies cannot support the cost of a high quality biometric device.

Of course the technology is not perfect.  Things such as cuts on your
finger and blood-shot eyes can still fool these systems, but password
technology has its faults too.

It is possible to break into any system, given the time to do you
homework.  Password systems with a username token is the easiest to
crack.  I simply need two pieces of information, and voila, I'm in.
when you couple that with a specific host requirement, I have to then
spoof an IP address or some other token.

Biometrics, on the other hand, requires a little more work.  If you
couple basic username/password token systems, a hardware or address
token, such as I-button/smart card and IP address, with either a retinal
scanner or palm print, or finger print, or voice recognition, there
becomes a greater amount of homework to be done to break into the
system.

Keep in mind, this is just my opinion.  I'm awaiting your retorts.  ;)

Eric F Crist
President/Sys Admin
AdTech Integrated Systems, Inc
http://www.adtechintegrated.com