Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 00:15:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Bjoern Fischer <bfischer@Techfak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sandboxing untrusted binaries

On Thu, 30 May 2002, Bjoern Fischer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> OpenBSD has a new interesting feature: systrace. It is a system call
> policy generator for "sandboxing" untrusted or semi-trusted binaries.
>
> The whole idea looks interesting. The implementation details look
> relatively simple (read: not too complicated). Anyone interested in
> having a closer look and maybe porting it?
>
> Or I will try to port it myself if at least one core member says:
> "Interesting technology, send a patch..."
>
> http://www.citi.umich.edu/u/provos/systrace/
>
> Bj=F6rn Fischer

You might want to talk to Robert Watson and see if the concept overlaps or
conflicts with anything he's doing as part of the TrustedBSD project.

As long as systrace does not conflict with what he's doing and does not
introduce the possibility of new security holes, I'm suspect that a port
of the code would not meet much resistance.

Go for it!

Mike "Silby" Silbersack