Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 12:58:38 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Juraj Lutter <otis@wilbury.sk>
Cc:        Ted Sikora <tsikora@powerusersbbs.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ssh login

In message <20010122184442.C48980@wilbury.sk>, Juraj Lutter writes:
> On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 12:38:15PM -0500, Ted Sikora wrote:
> >
> > That was it. How can root be dangerous in ssh.. isn't that why it
> > exists? Or would using su be better? I usually use ssh to remotely
> > administer the servers.
>
> Yes, using ``su'' or ``sudo'' is more elegant solution than remote
> root login. If I think about hcked boxes and patched ssh clients, it
> makes me scarry to login as root remote :-)

The problem with sudo is that you still have one password protecting
root.  Sudo does support OTP through S/Key and OPIE.  With appropriate
measures to ensure you don't paint yourself into a corner, this
solution looks quite appealing.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC