Date:      Fri, 1 Aug 1997 14:36:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.com
Subject:   Hardcode uucp UID in ports, or is there some way to determine it?

I'm working on my second port, which is progressing much more nicely than
my first.  The questions I have concern the fact that qpage runs as root,
and switches to a different UID and optionally GID for normal operations.

I'm pretty sure this means I can use uucp UID, or daemon UID/dialer GID.
I'm favoring the second, but I want to make sure this works within the
greater scheme of things. Which UID or UID/GID combination is best for a
daemon process that forks copies of itself to open modems?

The second question is, I need to feed the UID, and GID if used, to the
Makefile.  Do I assume that all FreeBSD systems have the same IDs for what
I have selected, or is there a way to extract this in the Makefile.  I
thought I had seen this discussed here before, but I couldnt' find it in
the archives.